In a world made of steel...made of stone.

If you're in your car and "What a Feeling" by Irene Cara comes on...is it taboo to throw that sucker in park and get out and just dance? If you turn it up loud enough, maybe everyone else will park their cars and dance with you...even the flannel clad, beer bellied truckers will be twirling and doing flying leaps through the air. Grandmas and dogs and little kids....everybody will just start dancing and when it's over, we'll all nod politely to each other and get back into our cars and go about our day.

These are the scenarios I envision when I'm sitting at stoplights. I'm the girl you have to honk at twice when the light turns green because I'm lost in my 80's dance movie induced fantasy. This happens ALL OF THE TIME. Some people think linearly, some people think mathematically...I think in musicals. In my head, everything could...and should...be turned into a musical. Sometimes, when very serious conversations are being had about finance and religion and politics, and I'm nodding my head and looking at you very seriously... BUT the theme to Footloose is playing somewhere in the background...I'm not really paying attention. In my head, we're all dancing. In my head, you just tossed your scotch and soda to the floor, grabbed me by the waist and spun me across the room...then slid across the floor on your knees, stopping right in front of me, holding out your hand and looking up with an endearing little grin.

It doesn't stop there...Pharmacists are always mere seconds away from a rousing chorus of "A Spoonful of Sugar." Drunken reminiscing in bars means someone is about to climb on top of the bar and mournfully sing "Memories." Finding a mint condition 1940's dress for $4 in the local thrift store means I'm about 2 seconds away from running through the aisles, singing "I Feel Pretty." Anything by Chaka Khan induces a breakdance fight, a la Breakin' (or Breakin' II:Electric Boogaloo, depending on the location and the people involved). All female politicians sing "Don't Cry for me Argentina." (Actually, even my pet mouse has sung "Don't Cry for me Argentina," using my fingers as her balcony and addressing the cat, the other mouse and a bearded dragon. It was a powerful moment.)

In my head, we're all starring in a never ending musical...which might make me crazy...but in my head, we're having an absolutely FANTASTIC time.










7 comments:

Kathleen Coy November 2, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Oh. My. God. This is scary. I do the EXACT same thing, but instead of at stoplights, it's usually in stores, grocery or otherwise. Especially Whole Foods...they always have some cheesy rockin' 80s song playing. As I start to wander the aisles, shopping carts become choreographed like synchronized swimmers, hippie dudes start doing acrobatic tumbling routines down the frozen food aisle, then sing harmonies with harried mothers of small children in the produce section. Someone starts juggling the zucchini. Janitors do the tango with their mops. Cashiers jump onto the conveyor belts for a song and dance number. It's absolutely beautiful and I get completely wrapped up in my little fantasy musical, then when the dance-worthy song ends everyone goes back to duly pushing their respective carts and comparing ingredients between brands of vegan hot dogs like nothing ever happened...
and people wonder what I'm smiling about...

Anonymous,  November 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

That was so amazing to me because I am thinking like that so much of the time. I am dancing and singing all the time haha.
I am a dancer since Im a child so instead of walking, I dance my way down the street.
Even on a sad day, I make sure to make it into a sad operatic strut.

I love the way you write, kudos to you:)
TJmodeling on twitter:)

Vanessa November 3, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

I still think about the One World Musical that Kendra and I used to dream about. Goodness gracious, that would have been an amazing show...

Toni November 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

This is just insanely hilarious! I must tell all my friends to read it. I tried to read it out loud to my son but he was trying to find the phone number to call to see if he is registered to vote.

candypeace November 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

I swear I do the same thing. But sometimes when my friends are involved, we actually do get out of the car and dance. Especially to a great spanish song "LA VACA". Great times

La Belle Savage jewelry design November 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM  

Great post!! I really enjoyed reading it :)

carrie November 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

I didn't know other people did this. For me, it's not just musicals, it's all kinds of inappropriate scenarios.

I'll be at work, leaning against the customer service counter with nothing to do, squeezing one of those squishy balls from the checkout line and some guy will walk by and I'll get the best mental picture about what would happen if I chucked it right at his head really hard. He'd never see it coming.

Then I laugh out loud at my own stupid mental picture and no one has a clue why I'm laughing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

Everything in this blog is copyright Jessica Benassi AKA Hey Lola except where I give credit to other people because obviously, that's their stuff. Don't steal my stuff. I mean, I'm not sure why you would want to, anyway, but if you're thinking about it...don't. Also, all of this nonsense is my opininion and is not supported or endorsed by Blogger or anyone ese. I mean, maybe it is, but if something I say just infuriates you, I take sole responsibility.

  © blog templates 3 column by blog templates 2008

Back to TOP