It's all about having the right tools

The jewelry market is super, super competitive...I don't think that I've run into a person in the last five years who doesn't claim to be a jewelry designer. I don't think that I've ever been to a craft fair/art show/etc. where I haven't overheard the phrase "It's pretty but why would I buy something I could make myself?" The problem then, is trying to create something that would be very difficult to replicate, a piece that is truly one of a kind. Of course, when you start expanding your jewelry line and trying to come up with something different, you discover that you need some additional tools...which cost money...which you don't have...because you spent it all on vintage clip-on earrings and the cutest little patent red Mary Janes. But where there's a will, there's a way...and conversations like these:

Me: "OW!OW!OW!$%^#&&&**&#@!OW!"
James:"Are you ok? What are you doing?"
Me: "I hammered my thumb...bad."
James:"What are you hammering?"
Me: "Copper...I'm making a necklace...see? It's pretty!"
James: "Is that a pink hammer and an ice cream scoop?"
Me: "Um...I needed a metal surface to hammer on...it's not like we ever eat ice cream anyway"

Or...
Me: "James! Come see what I made!"
James: "That's cool...what is that, wood?"
Me: "Uh uh, it's some old polymer clay I had and that crappy wire and then I baked it on an old cookie sheet and I carved it with a scalpel and sanded it with an emery board."

Silence

Me:"What?"
James: "A scalpel?"
Me: "Oh... Oh, no...Don't look at me like that...it's a disposable scalpel...it comes in a package...you're gross."

4 comments:

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy October 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

Oh my - - you definitely need some tools, don't you? :-)

Anonymous,  October 26, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

Don't you hate that - when people just "assume" they can make the jewelry themselves, so why buy it? Ha! I've tried making jewelry and it's not easy!

Your jewelry is beautiful - your pricing is excellent -- good idea using Twitter, too. That's how I found you, 'cause you starting following me. :-)

Anonymous,  October 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

I have never tried to make jewelry. Well not since some high school art class or other where I learned I can not make jewelry.

Hope you get some tools but sounds like you are making do with what you have fine. scalpels, ice cream scoops... emery board.

Dallas Designing-Diva October 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

I'm LMAO b/c I've been known to be creative when it comes to the tool dept....more ideas than money at times! ;-)

Randi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

Everything in this blog is copyright Jessica Benassi AKA Hey Lola except where I give credit to other people because obviously, that's their stuff. Don't steal my stuff. I mean, I'm not sure why you would want to, anyway, but if you're thinking about it...don't. Also, all of this nonsense is my opininion and is not supported or endorsed by Blogger or anyone ese. I mean, maybe it is, but if something I say just infuriates you, I take sole responsibility.

  © blog templates 3 column by blog templates 2008

Back to TOP