Vegetarian cooking for people who can't cook

I love this stuff:



It's a meat substitute made from mycoprotein...or rather, fungus. I hate mushrooms and I cook with this all of the time so don't let the fungus scare you. The company name is Quorn and I buy it at my local Kroger.

I also love this stuff:







Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles, also found at Kroger. Apparently it's also available in bulk through Amazon which could end up being a super cool thing. Out of all of the rice noodles I've tried, I think these are hands down the best.

My favorite mixture of these two items is a vegetarian type "scampi." By no means am I even close to being a great cook but I do my best...so bear with me as I share my version of the recipe:)

Put a few tablespoons of olive oil in a wok or deep fryin pan. Mince two cloves of garlic and sautee lightly. Add about a cup of white wine (I use chardonnay), a pinch of pepper and a little bit of salt. Throw in approximately 1/2 a cup each of artichoke hearts, quorn pieces, and broccoli. Add one regular sized, diced roma tomato. Put a lid on it and simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.

At the same time, boil a pot of water. When the water is boiling, throw in half a box of rice noodles for about 8 minutes. When the rice noodles are soft, add them to the quorn and vegetable mixture and let simmer.

The whole meal takes about 30 minutes to make and should serve two. I've never actually written down the recipe or measured any of the ingredients out so this is kind of my best guess. I'm a "feel it out" sort of cook and I taste as I go. I use more garlic than most people so I toned it down a little for the post. I also add sea salt as I go until it has just the right flavor. Actually, I adjust all of the ingredients as I go...like I said, I just kind of feel the meal out:)

This is my favorite thing to make...if you try it, let me know how it goes!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

Everything in this blog is copyright Jessica Benassi AKA Hey Lola except where I give credit to other people because obviously, that's their stuff. Don't steal my stuff. I mean, I'm not sure why you would want to, anyway, but if you're thinking about it...don't. Also, all of this nonsense is my opininion and is not supported or endorsed by Blogger or anyone ese. I mean, maybe it is, but if something I say just infuriates you, I take sole responsibility.

  © blog templates 3 column by blog templates 2008

Back to TOP